Pages

    Showing posts with label Nandigram. Show all posts
    Showing posts with label Nandigram. Show all posts

    Reds angry with Gandhi

    West Bengal governor Mr Gopalkrishna Gandhi, whose statement on Nandigram had angered the ruling CPI(M) in the state, once again earned the wrath of the Marxists by ordering “voluntary” powercuts at Raj Bhawan.

    In an unprecedented move, Raj Bhavan went powerless on Wednesday in two spells, for an hour each.

    The electricity was switched off in the entire Raj Bhavan complex once in the afternoon between 1.30 and 2.30 pm, and once again in the evening, from 6 to 7 pm. By observing voluntary powercuts at Raj Bhavan, the governor sought to stand by the side of Kolkata people and the state who have to bear the ordeal of periodic loadshedding.

    But an embarrassed CPI(M) was not amused by his new act of “Gandhigiri”. Reacting to this, senior CPI(M) leader and state Citu president Mr Shyamal Chakraborty, “He should give up his palatial abode and shift to a smaller flat, and he should also travel by buses to share the daily grind of the common man,” he added.

    But it was CPI(M) state secretary Mr Biman Bose who not only attributed a motive to Mr Gandhi’s decision but also questioned the need for the office of governor. “The time has come to think whether there is any relevance and need for governors even 60 years after Independence,” he said.

    Describing the post as a “white elephant”, Mr Bose said that this “British legacy” should be removed from all states of India.

    NANDIGRAM - Burnt bones, ashes recovered

    Burnt human bones and ashes were recovered on Thursday from three of the five graves found at Bidyapith village in the CPI(M) stronghold of Khejuri near Nandigram.

    "The graves which were under guard by a 15-member CRPF team after their discovery, were dug after Contai judicial magistrate Jaiprakash Singh arrived in the afternoon," superintendent of police, Midnapore, Satyeswar Panda said.

    Eight human bones and ashes were found shortly after the digging began, he said. Asked why it took so long for the magistrate to arrive, Panda said: "We had written to the court on Wednesday and it is all upto them to decide when they will send a magistrate."

    Asked about the identity of the bodies, Mr Panda said they could be of the five killed while making bombs on October 28, or those who died on March 14, or during the violence on November 8.

    Meanwhile, CPI(M) Midnapore Sabhadipati, Niranjan Sihi claimed that the bodies found in the grave were of the CPI(M) men, who were killed in a bomb attack by Bhumi Ucched Pratirodh Committee sup porters on October 28

    Second rape case officially registered in Nandigram

    The police on Saturday registered "a case of rape" on the basis of a complaint filed by the wife of a Bhoomi Ucchhed Pratirodh Committee (BUPC) member. The complaint was lodged at the Nandigram police station. This is the second officially confirmed incident of rape that has come to light, following the "violent recapture" of Nandigram by CPI(M) cadre.

    Confirming the rape case, superintendent of police (East Medinipur), S.S. Panda said, "A complaint has been lodged with the Nandigram police. We are looking into the matter." The 45-year-old woman claimed that she had been gangraped allegedly by CPI(M) cadres for two days. The cadre were looking for her husband, a BUPC member, who has been absconding since the CPI(M) cadre entered Gokulnagar on November 10.

    The victim said after her husband took shelter in the relief camp in Nandigram, she had locked herself inside her house in fear. On November 14, three men forced open the door and asked her about her husband. When she said that she did not know about his whereabouts, they refused to believe her.